Thursday, October 10, 2013

As American As Apple Pie & Fourth of July

I recently watched an Episode of Bones where the main character Booth said, “It’s American like apple pie and Fourth of July,” and now that I have a food blog the thing that stood out to me was that Apple Pie was equated to being American. The melting pot that is America, maybe made up of thousands of different races, religions, and ethnicities all seem to agree that Apple Pie is America according to Bones. With that statement in my mind I raised the question what is America's Favorite Pie. I began by Googling what is America’s favorite pie? I then clicked on the first site entitled, A Real Pie Chart: America’s Favorite Pies. 

Of course the site said that Apple was America’s favorite pie beating Pumpkin by 10%. I then took the Idea of surveying students, faculty, townspeople, and Facebook friends to the streets because it seemed like the most accurate way to test the findings.  As I sat in the Lane Center, the Performing Arts Center, and the Xerox facility, and got the weird faces from people answering my question as I passed, I found that more people actually like Sweet Potato Pie with Apple coming in second. 

My Results 
Sweet Potato: 40
Pumpkin: 13
Apple: 29
Cherry: 4
Lemon Meringue: 8
Key Lime: 2
Banana Cream: 2
Blueberry: 2
Peach:2
Chocolate Moose: 2
Boston Cream:1
French Silk:1
Coconut Custard: 2
Buttermilk:1




After surveying 115 people I was able to determine that more people who reside in America actually like Sweet Potato pie more than any of the other 15 pies that were given. So what does that mean for the American Apple pie has it been replaced by the Sweet Potato pie or will it someday make a comeback in the life of Americans.

If you would like to learn more about America's Favorite Pie feel free to check out the websites below.
http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/top-10-all-time-favorite-pies#!slide=11

No comments:

Post a Comment